Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

For Dinner tonight

I have a meeting tonight so I needed something easy so I decided to try the Potatoes Au Gratin. As I mentioned before I got the recipe from EatatHomeCooks.com It smells so good in my house right now. I also have some steaks marinating waiting to hit the grill.
I didn't want to leave my husband watching the oven so I put all the ingredients into the crock pot on low. The changes I made are in pink below.


  • 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, unpeeled
  • 2 Tbs. butter
  • 2 Tbs. flour
  • 1 1/2 cups hot milk (warmed in microwave)
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 tsp. parmesan
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • salt and pepper
  • extra cheese for the top

  • Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until tender. (I just washed and cut into 1/4" slices) Cool and cut into 1/4″ slices.  You can peel them if you like, but I like the rustic look and flavor of leaving the peels on.  Layer the slices in a buttered casserole dish. (I layered them in my crock pot)
Melt the butter in a saucepan.  Add the garlic and cook it for a minute over medium heat.  Whisk in the flour and cook for another minute.  Whisk in the hot milk, stirring constantly.  Stir in the cheeses and keep stirring until it’s all melted and smooth.
Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes and top with extra shredded cheese.  (At this point I  out the crock pot on low and left to cook)Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  You can also brown it up under the broiler for a minute, if you like.



No comments:

Post a Comment